ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PRENDERGAST BUTCHERS – TOMAHAWK
- The tomahawk steak is essentially a ribeye beef steak specifically cut with at least five inches of rib bone left intact.
- This gives the steak its signature flavour and unique look, which resembles a Native American tomahawk axe (hence the name).
- It can also be referred to as a “tomahawk chop,” “bone-in ribeye,” and “cote du boeuf.”
- A highly marbled, exquisitely tender and flavourful steak, the tomahawk is primarily taken from the loin of the cow.
- This consists of two muscles outside of the steer’s rib cage that run along both sides of the spine.
At Prendergast Butchers, we always choose grill our Tomahawk Steaks
Before starting, allow the steak to come up to room temperature. This ensures that the steak cooks evenly and is does not tense up when grilling.
Next liberally season the steak with salt. Due to its thickness, make sure to cover all sides with a healthy amount. This should be done just before you’re about to place the meat on the grill.
With your grill turned onto its highest heat setting, place the steak under it and turn every couple of minutes until desired degree of doneness is achieved.
Due to its size, be sure to cover in foil and rest the steak for at least 10-15 minutes. This gives the heat from the bone enough time to spread back through the meat – adding to its signature flavour and mouthfeel texture.
Best Served With
Slice the meat against the grain to your desired level of thickness and serve with hand-cut steak chips and roasted Mediterranean vegetables.
Also if not partaking in “Sober October” this month, a perfect accompaniment to this steak would be a room temperature glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.