This Sweet and Sour Pork recipe is great when you want that take away meal without leaving the house.
- 450g Pork steaks, diced into bite-sized pieces
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- pinch garlic granules
For the crispy coating:
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 100g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- pinch salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large Onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 Carrots, thinly cut
- 300g can pineapple cubes in juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp malt vinegar
- cooked rice
- sesame seeds
- spring onion
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the marinade, add the meat and stir to cover all of the meat. Leave for approximately 1 hour,(covered in the fridge).
- To make the sauce heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the ginger and garlic and stir well.
- Add the onion, peppers and carrot and stir for approximately 5-7 minutes to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and bring to the boil. Take off the heat while you fry the pork. This sauce can be made in advance, just chill in the fridge and reheat when needed.
- Prepare the pork by placing each cube in the flour, then in the egg, and back in the flour to coat.
- Heat some oil (approximately 2cm depth) in a heavy frying pan and when hot enough carefully place half the pork in the oil. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until the pieces are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the pork and drain on kitchen paper before continuing to fry the rest of the pork
- To serve, bring the sauce back to the boil, add the pork and stir gently to coat the meat in the delicious sauce. Serve immediately with boiled rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion