This recipe is one of our favourites and really does warm you up on even the coldest day.
- 1 tbsp Lard or bacon fat
- 2 Onions
- 1 Swede (peeled and cut into 1-inch/2.5-cm cubes)
- 4 Large Carrots (peeled and thickly sliced)
- 4 Leeks (cleaned of all sandy grit and sliced)
- 450 g Rolled Brisket
- 450 g Smoked Butchers Best Thick Cut Back Bacon (the whole piece cut into 1-inch/2.5-cm cubes)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- 450 g Potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Melt the lard in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat, taking care not to burn the fat
- Add the onions, carrots, and leeks to the hot fat and brown for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Raise the heat and add the beef to the pan and brown on all sides. Return the browned vegetables and the potatoes to the pan with the bacon pieces and bay leaf and thyme.
- Cover the meat and vegetables with cold water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper and serve while piping hot.
This can also be cooked in a slow cooker, why not pop it all in in the morning and then have lovely dish ready for dinner time. All you need to do is place all the ingredients in the slow cooker, no need to brown the meat, cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Serve with fresh crusty bread spread with lovely welsh salted butter and a slice or two of mature cheddar cheese, our Snowdonia Black Bomber Cheese would be perfect.