This classic roast pork recipe with lots of delicious crackling is great for Sunday lunch with the family.
Cooking time : 2hrs 30mins
- 1.8kg piece of rolled and tied Boneless Shoulder of Pork with the skin scored
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced into thin slivers
- small bunch rosemary, broken into small sprigs
- 3 bay leaves, torn
- 1 Onions, roughly chopped
- 1 large Carrots, chopped
- 1 large Parsnips peeled and sliced.
If you have time, rub salt in the pork skin 2 hours before cooking, leave it uncovered in the fridge. Pre -Heat the oven to 230 C/210 C fan/gas 8. Turn the pork rind-side down and with a small knife make about 6 deep incisions along the meat. Poke a sliver of garlic, a piece of rosemary and bay in each incision and turn the pork the right way up. If you didn’t salt the pork earlier salt the skin now.
- Mix the carrot, parsnip and onion and scatter along the middle of a shallow roasting tray to make a bed for the pork to sit on. Sit the pork on the vegetables and rub the skin with the oil. Place the pork in the oven and leave for 15 mins then turn the heat down to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and continue to roast for 1hr 30 mins. If after this time you don’t have brilliant crackling turn the heat up again and check every 5 mins until the skin has crackled.
- Remove the pork from the roasting tray to a board to rest.
- Carve the pork with crackling attached using a serrated knife and serve with some of our local vegetables, Potatoes, Swede, Cauliflower