ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PRENDERGAST BUTCHERS – BRISKET
- Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of the cow.
- The beef brisket is one of the eight beef primal cuts.
- The brisket muscles include the superficial and deep pectorals.
- As cattle do not have collar bones, these muscles support about 60% of the body weight of standing/moving cattle.
- Because of the above, this requires a significant amount of connective tissue, so the resulting meat must be cooked correctly to tenderize the connective tissue.
- 28th May is National Brisket Day
- There are two delicious ways to cook Brisket, the first is most popular in USA which is smoking the meat with selective wood chips, this causes for intense flavours and great for fully stuffing in a baguette with a mayo and coleslaw. The second way is more traditional and that is slowly braising it in a sauce until it is so tender it falls apart.
We love to braise our brisket to make a delicious beef madras curry….
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1tsp peppercorns
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 dry chillies (adjust according to your taste)
- 1tbsp chopped garlic
- 2tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 chopped onions
- 850g beef brisket, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 600g chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp chopped coriander
- 4 sliced chillies (adjust according to your taste)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 200ml water
Pre heat the oven to 150°
In a small frying pan, dry roast the spices. Cook, stirring on low heat for about 5 minutes. Grind the roasted spices in a spice grinder or a pestle and mortar, leave aside.
In a large ovenproof casserole pan, fry, ginger, onions, garlic with plenty of sea salt. Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the beef, ground spices and turmeric powder. Stir to coat the meat in the spices. Add tomatoes, fresh coriander, chillies, cinnamon stick and water. Stir together.
Cover the casserole pan with a lid. Bake oven for around 3 hours. Give the curry a stir half way through cooking.
Best Served With
At Prendergast Butchers, we enjoy a side serving of pilau rice and a fresh homemade garlic naan to complement the curry…… Enjoy.