ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PRENDERGAST BUTCHERS – Fillet Steak
- The fillet steak is from the small end of the tenderloin area of the animal, which is non-weight bearing and not toughened by exercise, resulting in extremely tender meat.
- The fillet muscle is so tender and it is also a very lean cut with little fat running through it, which means the flavour is not as meaty and intense as other cuts.
- In France the word Fillet actually means “Thick, boneless slice”. Fillet steaks are traditionally cut a bit thicker than other steaks, about 4cm or 1.5 inches.
- Unlike other cuts of steak, you can butterfly fillet steak to ensure it is thoroughly cooked through if you prefer your steaks “well done”
- Bacon is often used in cooking the filet because of the low levels of fat found in it. This also adds flavour and keeps the fillet from drying out during the cooking process.
- Prendergast Butchers Fillet Steak are matured for a minimum of 31 days to ensure maximum taste.
At Prendergast Butchers we love our Fillet Steak pan fried in garlic butter for medium to rare (6 minutes – turning over every minute) heavily seasoned with salt and pepper, and served with crunchy carrot slaw salad, a large grilled beef tomato, beer battered onions rings and triple cooked chips.